Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Lynas [The Red Baron]

Post The Red Baron

THAT, is very, very sad indeed.
    Hard, but, fair man.
    God Bless him and may we meet at Fiddler's Green once again

What a character

The Red Baron was my Jimmy 80 - 81 then I caught him up in 82 at FO Portsmouth where he was AQHM. When I was president of the for'd PO's mess and a knock at the door in the afternoon would reveal the Baron with four pint pots in his hand which required filling. When replying the bar was locked we were told in no uncertain terms he knew we had a key and to get on and fill the f...ing glasses. Another memory is standing in for the pusser at requestmen when a caterer (name Kev I think) appeared for his hook. When asked by the CO for any comments the Baron replied "probably make a good killick but needs to come out of his shell, needs a good woman to give him a good f...!" What can you say to that? Jimmy Chestnutt was speechless! The man was a character, someone who will probably never be replicated.

Steve Heggie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heggie View Post
    The Red Baron was my Jimmy 80 - 81 then I caught him up in 82 at FO Portsmouth where he was AQHM. When I was president of the for'd PO's mess and a knock at the door in the afternoon would reveal the Baron with four pint pots in his hand which required filling. When replying the bar was locked we were told in no uncertain terms he knew we had a key and to get on and fill the f...ing glasses. Another memory is standing in for the pusser at requestmen when a caterer (name Kev I think) appeared for his hook. When asked by the CO for any comments the Baron replied "probably make a good killick but needs to come out of his shell, needs a good woman to give him a good f...!" What can you say to that? Jimmy Chestnutt was speechless! The man was a character, someone who will probably never be replicated.Steve Heggie
    Remember that Steve, the chap in question was LCA Kev Cox, owned a light blue Triumph Spitfire, was with him the night we were returning onboard and the front axle fell off as we rounded the roundabout at the end of Comical Road !!! Didnt realise you were Mess Prez of the Fwd POs mess, it was my action station and Jack Frost always used to appear with the key and fed us CSB troughout Action Stations !!!!!
    Wij zjin Ajax, Wij zjin de beste